Jun 15th, 2007 by admin2
Service firms like other organizations are realizing the significance of customer-centered philosophies and are turning to quality management approaches to help managing their businesses. Managers in service sector are under increasing pressure to demonstrate that their services are customer-focused and that continuous performance improvement is being delivered. Given the financial and resource constraints under which service organizations must manage it is essential that customer expectations are properly understood and measured and that, from the customers’ perspective, any gaps in service quality are identified. This information then assists a manager in identifying cost-effective ways of closing service quality gaps and of prioritizing which gaps to focus on – a critical decision given scarce resources. All of the effort is aim to get customer satisfaction (Shahin, 2000).
Customer satisfaction is a important element in marketplace success. Oliver (1997) made a conceptual definition consumer satisfaction: the consumer’s fulfillment response. It is a judgment that a product or service feature, or the product or service itself, provided (or is providing) a pleasurable level of consumption-related fulfillment, including level of under- or over fulfillment. In order to fulfill the customer’s satisfaction the company has to understand the dimension of customer satisfaction (Parasuraman, Zeithaml and Berry, 1985).
The tools to reach customer satisfaction namely “service quality” (SERQUAL) that consist of dimensions tangibles, reliability, responsiveness, competence, courtesy, credibility, security, accessibility, communication, and understanding the customer (Parasuraman, Zeithmal and Berry, 1990). All of dimensions need to be fulfilled to make customer satisfy.
Understanding the dimension of customer satisfaction help a company service attract new customers through positive word of mouth and increase the number of repeat customer. Customer satisfaction is an important aspect of company service success because the customer will be voluntary promote company to another people. The fulfillment of customer expectations of service are valid indicators of customer satisfaction. The identification and measurement of service quality are critical factors which is responsible for customer satisfaction (Parasuraman, Zeithaml and Berry, 1985). It is why the research of dimension of customer satisfaction is very important.
Satisfaction occurs when consumer expectations are met or exceeded and the purchase decision is reinforced (Tjiptono, 2002). As feedback from post purchase evaluation. Satisfaction reinforces positive attitudes toward the brand, leading to a greater likelihood that the consumer will repurchase the same brand. Dissatisfaction result when consumer expectations are not met. Such disconfirmation or expectations is likely to lead to negative brand attitudes and lessens the likelihood that the consumer will buy the same brand again (Assael, 1998).
In concept, a company not only focus on sales volume to create profits but hold beliefs that customer satisfaction will create long run profitability to the selected target market. Satisfied customer is an asset of the company. Satisfied customer will be a word-of-mouth promotion because satisfied customers tend to be repurchasing the service or the product and recommend another people to use company service. On the other hand, unsatisfied customer will be a threat of the service company because unsatisfied customers tend to tell their friends about their dissatisfaction so that their friends do not use the company service.
Service quality has important role for all of company, including insurance industry. Since competition in insurance bussiness is unavoidable, since there are many insurance companies there. The companies have same specifications and strategies regarding customer services as the implementation of corporate vision and mission. However, not all customers are satisfied with the service given. Customers may have many expectations that the company cannot meet them yet. They feel the claim fulfillment seems to be long, the claim payment is late and so on. Each customer has different expectations.
1.2. Problem Identifications
Insurance industry may face problem regarding customer satisfaction, since there is different perceptions and expectations compared to the expectations relying on person.
1.3. Problem Statement
The problem proposed are as follows:
- Do tangibles, reliability, responsiveness, competence, courtesy, credibility, security, accessibility, communication, and understanding the customer, have positive and significant stimulatingly effect on customer satisfaction in insurance industry?
- Do tangibles, reliability, responsiveness, competence, courtesy, credibility, security, accessibility, communication, and understanding the customer have positive and significant partially effect on customer satisfaction in insurance industry?
- Which is the most dominant dimension regarding customer satisfaction in insurance industry?
- What is consumer perception through the service quality from insurance industry?
1.4. Research Objectives
The objectives of this research are :
- To identify whether the dimension of satisfaction such as tangibles, reliability, responsiveness, competence, courtesy, credibility, security, accessibility, communication, and understanding the customer have positive and significant stimulatingly effect on customer satisfaction in insurance industry.
- To identify the influence of satisfaction dimension and the most dominant dimension regarding customer satisfaction between tangibles, reliability, responsiveness, competence, courtesy, credibility, security, accessibility, communication, and understanding the customer in insurance industry.
Baca selengkapnya »
Ingin memiliki Skripsi/Tesis versi lengkapnya? Hubungi Kami.